With a handful of ingredients and 10 minutes of your time, you can serve the most addicting snack mix your serving bowls have ever seen. Muddy Buddy Mix is for those of us who love chocolate and peanut butter as a pair. One thing that sets our new recipe apart from the others. Instead of tossing the Muddy Buddy Mix with powdered sugar alone, we add cocoa powder in the final step as well. This contributes to an even deeper chocolate flavor that’ll have you reaching for more.
As one Test Kitchen Professional said, “It’s hard to stop after one bite.” Another called this mix “sweet but not overly sweet” and “the perfect snack.” If you don’t take our Test Kitchen Pros’ word for it, set out a dish of this Muddy Buddy Mix at your next party and watch how fast it disappears. Plus, this Muddy Buddy Mix can easily be transformed into a festive party treat for any holiday.
Add green and red M&Ms for Christmas, candy corn for Halloween, or malted milk eggs for Easter. After you taste this Muddy Buddy Mix, you’ll never buy store-bought snack mix again.
- Active Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 12 cups (serving size: 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 1 [12-oz.] pkg.)
- 1 cup (about 10 oz.) creamy peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons (3 oz.) salted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. rice cereal squares, corn cereal squares, or wheat cereal squares (such as Chex) (12 cups)
- 2 cups (about 8 oz.) powdered sugar
- 1 cup (about 3 1/2 oz.) unsweetened cocoa
- Place chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a large microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH until smooth and melted, about 3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour cereal into a large bowl. Pour warm chocolate mixture over cereal and toss gently until coated.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl. Sprinkle powdered sugar mixture over cereal, and gently toss to coat.