With the addition of chopped pecans, this divinity is crunchy, fluffy, and simply divine.
- Yield: 4 dozen
Divinity is a classic candy make with granulated sugar, corn syrup, and stiffly beaten egg white.
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Garnish: toasted pecan halves
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a heavy 2-quart saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves and a candy thermometer registers 248°F (about 15 minutes). Remove syrup mixture from heat.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Pour half of hot syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating constantly at high speed, about 5 minutes.
- Cook remaining half of syrup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer registers 272°F (about 4 to 5 minutes). Slowly pour hot syrup and vanilla extract over egg white mixture, beating constantly at high speed until mixture holds its shape (about 6 to 8 minutes). Stir in 1 cup chopped pecans.
- Drop mixture quickly by rounded teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased wax paper. Garnish, if desired.